The Art of Being A Dad
The First Seven Years
Written and Illustrated
By Mark Wagner, MA
Dad's are taking an active role in parenting in greater numbers
than ever before. That means a great number of Dad's could use
some guidance on how to develop a unique and creative bond with
their children. The Art of Being A Dad does just that
with scores of personal insights, engaging illustrations and photographs.
It also comes with a “toolbox” filled with helpful
tips, tools and tricks of the trade for being a successful dad
while enjoying the journey. Every guy loves and needs a toolbox.
The Art of Being A Dad: the First Seven Years is a highly
illustrated and colorfully creative collaboration between a dad
and his two small kids. It is also one man’s journey as
he navigates the colliding worlds of babies and career, co-parenting,
and the awe, beauty, and exhaustion of Being a Dad. I’d
like to help other Dads as they travel the timeworn path of fatherhood
by giving them some navigational tools for developing an authentic
and meaningful connection with their kids.
I’m an unique author, not because I fully engaged in parenting
with my wife in raising two small kids, but because I am a freelance
artist and when I became a dad I turned into an anthropologist;
curious and observant, jotting down notes, taking photographs,
creating drawings, and making art with my kids. While it was part
survival, I also learned a lot about what being a dad is all about.
I’d like to share with other dads what I have been taught
by my kids so that they can more easily bridge the gap between
themselves and their children.
The Art of Being a Dad: the First Seven Years will:
• offer ways of being creative and being more connected
to your kids
• celebrate dads and the work they do that often goes unnoticed
• help dads take better care of themselves and everyone
• help kids and moms understand dads better
• help dads become better parents and partners
The Book Includes:
• TOOLBOX: 130 Tips, Tools, and Tricks of the Trade –
helpful ideas to being a successful dad.
• Being A Dad is ______. 150 memorable moments in the life
of a Dad.
• Traditional and Digital Artwork and Photographs by Mark
Wagner and his two children.
Markets for the Book
• Ongoing Holiday Book – Father’s Day, Dad’s
• With 78% of books being bought by women, The Art of Being
a Dad will appeal to new moms who want to buy something for the
new dad in the family.
• Growing gay population with two dads (or moms) in the
• Parent advocate groups
• Men’s movement
• Children’s Hospitals
• The New Dad's Survival Guide by Scott Mactavish
• Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads by Greenberg
• Keeping the Baby Alive till Your Wife Gets Home by Walter
• Father's First Steps: 25 Things Every New Dad Should Know
by Robert W. Common
• The Guy's Guide to Surviving Pregnancy by Michael Cider
• The Father's Almanac, by S. Sullivan
• The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year by Armin
• Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads by Gary
GreenbergAbout the Author
Mark Wagner, MA is a digital and traditional artist,
educator, and dad of two young girls. Mark has worked as a professional
artist for over 20 years. He works in the film industry as a concept
artist, as well as in illustration, graphic design, web site development,
fine art, and music video.
Mark received his Master's Degree from JFK University in "Arts
& Consciousness" and a BFA from Pratt Institute in “Art
& Design.” He has taught art and creativity in graduate
school, digital art school, state prison, and elementary school.
He recently created the nonprofit “Re-Enchanting the World
Through Art” which supports and inspires the creative spirit
in children and communities. The first event produced was the
“Kids’ Chalk Art Project” where 6000 people
(4800 of them elementary school kids) set a Guinness World Record
for the largest chalk drawing which helped to generate awareness
that there are NO art teachers in the public elementary schools
of Alameda CA.
His professional portfolio and resume can be seen at: